Get Your Home Holiday Ready with the Vinegar Tips Checklist (Part III)
Part III: Prep Your Home for a Full House
Vinegar makes it easier to stay home for the holidays (or keep yours clean for when you return). Follow our free printable checklist for prepping your home for guests this season and keeping your kitchen clean too.
Our last cleaning checklist covers each room in the house, from freshening the bathroom to the laundry and washing windows.
- If Fluffy chooses to make an appearance this holiday, make sure her coat is gleaming! Spray or rub a solution of 1 cup white distilled vinegar to 1 quart water over her fur.
- Preserve cut flowers from a friend or liven droopy ones by adding 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar to a quart of water in a vase.
- Remove soap buildup from faucets by scrubbing them with a solution of 1 part salt to 4 parts white distilled vinegar.
- Freshen air in the bathroom by spraying a solution of 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar, and 1 cup water.
- Favorite wool sweater shrunk in the dryer? Boil the clothing in a solution of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water for about 25 minutes. Reshape and let the garment air dry.
- To prevent lint from clinging to clothes and linen by adding 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to the wash cycle.
- Want whiter, fresher carpets? Create your own carpet steam cleaner solution by combining equal parts water and white distilled vinegar.
- Clean light fixtures of dust and bugs before your guests arrive. To wash a light fixture globe, turn the light off and allow globes to cool completely. Place the globe in a sink with a mixture of warm water, one ounce mild detergent and 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar. Using a clean microfiber cloth, wipe the glass covering the inside and out, then rinse. Allow globe to air dry. Then, wipe outer surface with a dryer sheet- this will help repel dust between cleanings.
- Wash and brighten your windows the green way before winter kicks in. Make your own earth-friendly window cleaner by mixing 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and 1/3 cup vinegar in a 32 oz spray bottle before filling the rest with water. Lightly spritz on a lint free cloth and wipe down mirrors and glass.
We wish you and yours a holiday season filled with warmth, good health and cheer.