Oktoberfest StewSimmer up the flavor and settle down with this Fall favorite.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yields: 4-6 servings
YOU WILL NEED:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 (14 ounce) package beef smoked sausage, cut into bite-size slices
• 1 onion, sliced into thin semi-circles
• ½ head small cabbage, halved again, cored and thinly sliced
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch salt
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 cup German-style lager beer (Oktoberfest variety)
• 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed to bite-size pieces
• 2 ½ cups chicken stock
• 1 ½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
DIRECTIONS FOR BALSAMIC GLAZE:
- Place a large pot over med-high heat, add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add in sliced beef smoked sausage and allow to caramelize and brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- When sausage is browned, add in onion, stir and allow to caramelize. Add in cabbage, stir and allow cabbage to soften. Add in a taste of salt, pepper and garlic. Stir and let simmer until aromatic.
- Add in the cup of lager, stir and allow to reduce for 3-4 minutes. Add in cubed potatoes, stir and allow to simmer until stew comes to a boil. Place a lid (slightly askew) on the pot, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, finish off the stew by topping with apple cider vinegar. Serve in large bowls with a hearty roll.